- Staff Directory
- Sports Medicine
- 'This week' Schedule
- Season Schedules
- Special Olympics
- Fine Arts
- Student Services
- College/Career (CRC)
- Course Selection
- Health Services
- Learn Suppt. Team (LST)
- Resource Officer (SRO)
- Social Workers
- Student Assistance (SAP)
- Student Records
- Team Leaders
- Link Crew
- Testing Center
- Student Resources
Steps to a Successful College Application Process at LHS
Step #1: Be Aware of Deadlines
- Click here for our chart of Transcript Release Form deadlines
Step #2: Get Organized
- Click here for a handy chart to keep track of deadlines, passwords, requirements
- Use your smartphone to set deadline alerts
Step #3: Understand Application Options
- Click here for Admission Option Definitions
Step #4: Refine Your College List
Step #5: Know the Application Process
You are responsible for:
- The Application and Fee
- Essay (if required)
- Asking for Teacher/Counselor Recommendation(s) (if required)
- Sending ACT and/or SAT scores to colleges
- Completing LHS Transcript Release Form for each college you apply to
LHS is responsible for:
- Sending your transcript, recommendation letters, and Common App forms (if needed) to colleges
Step #6: NAVIANCE
Password: LHS ID #
- Update Email Address
- Update List of “Colleges I’m Thinking About”
- Check Out Colleges Visiting LHS – GET PASS ONE DAY AHEAD
- If you need a Teacher Recommendation Letter:
- Politely Ask Teacher, and say THANK YOU
- If you have already asked, gently remind them
- After they have agreed to write letter, add their name to Naviance under “Colleges I’m Applying To”
- Complete Teacher Recommendation Form on Naviance
- If you need a Counselor Recommendation Letter:
- Complete Counselor Recommendation Form on Naviance
- Meet with counselor
- Track Application Status under “Colleges I’m Applying To”
- If using the Common Application:
- Create your account at www.commonapp.org
- On Naviance, complete the “Important Privacy Notice” under “Colleges I’m Applying To” (we encourage you to say “Yes, I waive my right to access…”)
- On Naviance, enter your Common App username and password. Make sure it is correct!
- Start Your Scholarship Search
- Use Naviance to research local/regional scholarships
- Use websites like www.fastweb.com, www.scholarships.com to research national scholarships
- Check with colleges to see what scholarships they offer
Step #7: Work on Your College Essay
- Help available in the CRC-Tuesdays and Thursdays during 8th period or make an appointment!
- Help available in The Write Place
Step #8: Attend CRC Programs
- November 7-----Creating Your College List: For Juniors and Parents, 7:00 pm in the LHS Auditorium
- November 13-----Financial Aid and Scholarships Program, 7:00 p.m. in LHS Studio Theatre
Step #9: Attend College Fairs
- October 25-----CHOICES College Fair for Students with Disabilities, New Trier H.S.
- November 17-----New Horizons Tech Fair at LHS
Step #10: Visit College Campuses
Other Important Notes:
November 1 Priority Deadline
University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign
University of Wisconsin – Madison
November 15 Priority Deadline
Illinois State University
November 30 Deadline
University of California System
- Pay attention to the Fine Print!
- Make sure your email address and voicemail message are appropriate.
- Be careful what you post on facebook!
- Avoid Senioritis.
- Check email often.
- Do NOT wait until the last minute to complete application.
- Talk with your counselor often. Visit the CRC.
- Utilize Naviance.